What is the impact of Sustane’s technology?
How proven is this new technology? What is your backup plan?
The core technology has been operating in Europe for several years. Enhancements to deliver higher purity products have been fully developed and tested up to full scale in Sustane’s pilot operations. We are fully confident in the processes; however, normal testing and tuning is expected to take several months, and we will be working closely with material off-takers during that time.
What about emissions? Leachate?
Sustane facilities do not generate leachate, the leachate generation from the landfill will start to fall away over several years. Our technology “cooks” the waste with steam and dries the biomass so no waste combustion occurs. Fuel for the cooking and drying comes from propane during the initial startup phase, and a small vent (stack) vents normal heating vapours.
Is my Municipality an ideal candidate?
What makes a municipality an ideal candidate for a Sustane operation?
A Municipality with a critical mass of needed municipal solid waste (MSW) management and most importantly one that shares Sustane’s vision of a landfill-free future is the ideal partner!
What does a municipality contribute to a Sustane project?
Municipalities do not need to contribute to the financing of a Sustane project. However, Municipalities should be ready to commit all available MSW destined for landfilling be made available to Sustane.
What are the benefits to a Municipality?
- Reduced environmental risk and dramatic CO2e benefit
- Reduced landfill cell requirements
- The transformation of waste into a resource
- Each facility creates 25+ highly skilled new jobs
- Significant private sector investment into the Municipality, which will bolster tax revenue
- An anchor tenant in the Municipality’s industrial-eco landscape
- Less cell constructions means less borrowing which enables the Municipality to focus on other infrastructure
- Becoming leaders in waste management, changing how we and the world view landfill waste
Are there any risks for the Municipality?
Sustane works with municipalities to ensure risks are very low. We will take steps to mitigate risk, such as monitoring landfill cell capacity and ensuring Sustane meets its waste diversion performance targets. From an investment standpoint, the Municipality is not putting any capital into this process, it is completely funded by the private sector.
How does the cost compare to landfilling?
Sustane has worked very closely with its municipal partners to develop an economic model that delivers a solution with a dramatically reduced environmental impact while maintaining similar economics for a Municipality on a long term, sustainable basis.
Will it cost a Municipality less to dispose of landfill waste?
- …It does cost more to keep things out of a landfill — to do the right thing. We know this from looking at recycling, costing around $200 per tonne and in excess of $150 per tonne to process organics.
- Over the 20-year term of a typical contract, the Municipality will achieve price stability for the residents at a cost competitive with landfilling
- The Municipality will continue to receive a host fee for all waste delivered to our facility, which is revenue used to fund general operations
- Things that are benefits, yet hard to put a price on:
- A Municipality will reduce its long-term environmental risk as we will be putting less than 10% of MSW (inert, inorganic) we manage back into landfills each year
- This enables the construction of fewer landfill cells; thus, not dealing with the closure and ongoing environmental monitoring associated with the same.
- Lessens the impact on our environment, ensuring we do not leave a legacy of environmental waste for future generations.
How are Sustane projects funded?
How are Sustane projects funded?
Sustane will fund the project. Where possible we will leverage available government incentives at the provincial and federal level.
Is the construction of a plant dependent on government partners providing additional funding?
Typically no, but potential Provincial and Federal Incentive programs and Investment Tax Rebates are important, helping us attract the needed private funding, but additional public funding has not been required.
What level(s) of government have provided support to this project?
No municipal funding has so far been needed for Sustane’s Chester project. Federal and municipal support is as indicated above.
Who are the investors?
Sustane is funded by a series of private investors, most of whom are from Nova Scotia.
What happens to the resources produced by the facility?
Can the pellets be used in home heaters?
Our initial target application is industrial heat and power generation — replacing forest biomass and coal with an alternative with a positive environmental impact.
Who will buy the oil?
There are a number of customers for the oil, including Provincial and Municipal government buildings, industrial, commercial and residential.
What will the oil be used for?
The oil product is a green product and can be used as heating oil or blendable distillate (diesel).
Resources for Municipal Representatives
Sustane offers solid waste diversion and unprecedented value recovery for municipalities.
Want a Sustane facility in your community?
Talk to your municipal representative today to bring Sustane’s solution to your region, start eliminating local landfills, and improve the overall health of your community.